Sunday, January 8, 2012

Have You Noticed?

Over the past few weeks, you have probably spent a good deal of time surrounded by family. Some you may see often and others only on special occasions. I noticed some things about myself and some habits that I noticed that are a direct result of my family. Here are my top five:

1. Autopilot. My dad always had a "short cut" that we had never taken before. In truth regardless of where we were traveling, if it involved any portion of a route that Dad often traveled he would automatically head for the familiar. I don't know how it happened, but every time I go to my sister's house I miss the turn and end up on the highway. Even when I'm waiting patiently at the light to make the turn, as soon as the light turns green I am through the intersection and headed south on I787.

2. Baking. Inevitably when you make cupcakes you never quite reach the tewnty-four the box says you will. You could try a measuring cup, ice cream scoop, or the "eyeing it" method and will still lose some to the sides of the bowl, beaters, and the occasional taste test. What to do with the extra spaces in the pan? Fill them with water of course! Why? Because mom always did. I'm quite certain that if the spaces between the cups don't burn, the actual cup won't either but I still fill them, every time.

3. Breakfast. There are many choices available for breakfast each morning. One of the most versatile and convenient is a bowl of cereal. I'm sure there are daily recommended amounts of both cereal and milk, but it's not something that was followed in our house. If it fit in the bowl it was enough. Except when it wasn't because there was extra milk left over. Since warm sugary milk grosses me out, there was only one thing to do: add more cereal on top. If the pour was a little too generous, add more milk. Continuing until, as my brothers have proven on many an occasion, the half gallon of milk and box of cereal are as empty as your bowl.

4. Socks. If you are like me, one of the saddest days of the year is October 1st. This is the day where you have to accept the fact that summer has passed you by and you have to retire your sandals, flip flops, and barefoot carefree days. It's time for socks... Having hardwood floors on the majority of my first floor, it can be chilly walking around in your bare feet. And it can be annoying to take your socks off to sit on the couch and relax, then put them back on to search for your IPad that is charging in the other room. The solution? Roll your socks down over your heal to let your feet breathe. And keep your toes warm. Bliss...

5. Egg Salad. Hard boiled egg, mayo, freshly cracked black pepper, and chopped green olives. Mix carefully and spread between two pieces of white bread. Dad's perfect sandwich... Followed closely by baloney and ketchup.

At this time of year, relish in the time you spend with family. And instead of fighting it, embrace the fact that you WILL one day become your mom, dad, or crazy Aunt Kate! Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment